1961 Austin Healey MKII 3000 BT7 Roadster
|Performance:||2,912 CC OHV inline 6-cyl., Twin SU HD6 semi-downdraft carbs|
|Transmission:||4 speed (with Laycock overdrive)|
|Suspension:||Independent wishbone-and-coil-spring front suspension, ¾-floating rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs|
|Color interior:||Dark Blue|
|Mileage:||Low test miles driven since restoration|
The last example to be restored by renowned marque experts, Randee and the late Tom Rocke, of Riverside, California. Refinished in factory-original Healey Blue and complete with factory hard top. Mechanical and ancillary systems fully rebuilt. Fresh, striking, and ready to drive, enjoy, and show...This 1961 Austin-Healey 3000 Mark II BT7 four-seater is a wonderful example of this highly versatile breed, presented in highly engaging "works" rally car style. It was completed during October 1961 and equipped with such desirable factory options and features including wire wheels, a laminated windscreen, heater, adjustable steering column, Roadspeed tires, overdrive, and a hard top. During 2006, the Healey was acquired by Tom and Randee Rocke, the Riverside, California-based Austin-Healey restoration experts, during 2006 and in January 2016, the total frame-off, nut-and-bolt restoration was completed. In fact, this is the last Austin-Healey to have been restored by Mr. Rocke. The body panels and chassis were shot-blasted to bare metal, prepared, and primed before being refinished, with the body painted in its factory-specified Healey Blue using a top-quality DuPont polyurethane 5-Star Chroma base/clear system. A complete new interior was fitted, including blue seat upholstery with chrome piping, matching wool carpeting and panels, and a new trunk kit. All new parts were utilized when rebuilding the torquey 3.0-litre engine, desirable center-shift gearbox, overdrive unit, and the vehicle's ancillary systems. The new steel exhaust system was jet-coated for durability, an all-new cloth wiring harness was installed, and new or rebuilt electrical components utilized. An alternator and negative ground replaced the original generator-based charging system for enhanced capacity and reliability. A new fuel system was also installed, including a new fuel tank and lines, all the way up to the newly rebuilt, BJ8-type 2-inch SU carburetors. The braking system received similar attention, including all-new line, master cylinder, front-disc brakes, and jet-coated rear drums. The entire suspension was rebuilt to match, using new parts and components. All interior and exterior chrome pieces were triple-plated for a lasting shine. A 15-inch, three-spoke steering wheel provides driving ease in concert with the adjustable column. Paying homage to the famous Austin-Healey "works" rally cars, this vehicle's body modifications include slightly flared front fenders, a louvered hood for improved cooling, and a rally-spec rear deck lid with room for up to two spare tires. Other great competition-themed items include iconic Minilite 8-spoke rally wheels, 185X15 tires, front road lights, a rear back-up lamp, and the factory hard top, refinished in Healey Blue to match the rest of the exterior. Both the road lights and back-up light are activated using toggle switches mounted under the dash to the right of the steering column. Following completion, limited test miles were covered to ensure proper sorting. Photographs documenting the restoration work and a corresponding British Motor Industry Heritage Trust Certificate showing original data accompany this wonderful Healey.
As the first update of Donald Healey's tremendously successful Austin-Healey 100, the 100-Six, alternatively known as the 100-6, arrived in September 1956. Answering the quest for more power, performance, and all-around drivability, especially in Healey's all-important North American markets, the 100-6 most notably heralded a twin-carbureted version of the Austin Westminster's 2,639-cc 'C-Series' inline six-cylinder engine. Expertly tuned by Geoff Healey, Eddie Maher, and Harry Weslake, other updates applied to the 100-6 included a slight streamlining of the body, a wider and lower oval-shaped radiator grille, the addition of a fashionable and functional hood scoop, and a revised cockpit. A slight two-inch wheelbase extension provided room for a pair of occasional rear seats in the BN4 2+2, which shared its 92-inch wheelbase length with the two-seat BN6 for 1958 and 1959. The definitive 3000 Mark I debuted in 1959, complete with a larger-displacement 2,912 cc engine, improved gearbox, and new disc-type front brakes. Two models were offered, comprising the BN7 two-seater and Grand Touring-oriented BT7 2+2, and the "Big Healey" continued in progressively improved BJ8 Mark II and Mark III form through the eventual end of production in early 1968. Highly prized as an immensely capable open-air British sports car - even by today's standards - the "Big Healey" continues to be just as enjoyable and effective today as when new on racing circuits, rally stages, and winding roads alike.