This year Club Jaguar Mexico held their 32nd Concours d’Elegancia. This event is always a spectacular show! The concours site at “Las Caballerizas” (The Stables) in Dos Rios, Huixquilucan at an elevation of about 8,200 feet. This Concours remains the largest car event in the country. It continues to grow to include many other classic car clubs of Mexico to make this event “The event to attend”.
Las Caballerizas, about a 45-minute drive from Mexico City, yields a spectacular backdrop of fragrant pine trees, fresh clean air, warm sunny weather, and lush mountains that highlight the beauty and magnificent attention to detail of the various marques in attendance. The location is a 100+ year old polo facility that has a great heritage, and the road to get there is spotted with little towns and villages, and winding country roads, all a delight for the senses.
Besides the usual 400+ cars that they usually invite, this year they honored the 60th Anniversary of the Cadillac El Dorado Brougham. The Brougham was manufactured only between 1957 and 1958, with a total of 708 cars being produced. They were fortunate to have four of these magnificent models represented at the Concours. It was a wonderful opportunity to see these magnificent time capsules in all their glory.
Also celebrated was the 70th Anniversary of the Porsche. There were 70 various representations of Porsches on display for the anniversary. For one event, it was a spectacular presentation of many great models spanning the 70 years of Porsche.
It was a nice comfortable weekend with late afternoon light rain on Saturday, but the event still had wonderful attendance with more than 20,000 people attending the concours. Many of the sponsors were the car manufactures who created incredible display showcases of the new models for all to see. There were about 400 classic & exotic cars on the field,
The Gran Concurso Internacional de Elegancia is a product of Club Jaguar Mexico’s appointed representatives and members. They have been able to raise money for charity through the gate and concession sales, all carried out in large part by all the sponsors and attendees, and the members of the Jaguar club. They make sure that everything goes smoothly and without a hitch. They always seem to pull off an amazing event!
Once the judges & members arrived on Friday (between 12 and 2 pm), they start staging the cars for the concours. 70% of the cars arrive on Friday, and the remaining 30% arrive first thing Saturday Morning. Independently, each of the 40 Clubs attending the concours carries out the same procedure in regards to judging its member’s cars. Once this judging is finalized, each Clubs Board of Directors decides which car best depicts, or represents, the brand they represent, and has it sent over to a special pavilion. These cars, once again, will be judged by yet another team of independent judges on Sunday to determine the Best American and Best European.
The judging team consists of two members from the Jaguar Club, one member from the Mercedes Benz Club, one member from the Porsche Club, and another member from the independent clubs. These are knowledgeable judges in both American, as well as European cars. Here the judging criteria changes with regards to Saturdays standards. They judge the cars based on how many were made, how many remain, the difficulty in restoring the car, difficulty obtaining NOS parts, and overall originality as per factory specs.
Jaguar México was a sponsor and worked hand in hand with Club Jaguar Mexico for this event. They brought in their new model cars to display and had a huge hospitality tent for the Club Jaguar Mexico catered luncheon on Saturday, and for all the attendees to enjoy and learn more about the Jaguar marque as well.
1961 XKE OTS
1969 XKE Series II FHC
1974 XKE Series III OTS
Jorge Ruiz Galindo
1959 XK-150S OTS
Class C8/ SLS
1966 420G Sedan
Jeffrey C. Carlson