1960 MG MGA Coupe
|Performance:||1800 cc, four cylinder SU Carbs|
|Transmission:||4 speed manual|
|Wheels:||Steel Wheels (with hubcaps)|
This MG A is an original Southern California high-end driver level car with 2 documented owners, the most recent of which has owned the car since the 1970s. The Coupe was garage-kept, and frequently maintained by the owner himself, who was a Hughes Aircraft employee and used it as a commuter car for work. It features a strong 1800cc engine, along with rack and pinion steering, independent suspension, and a sharp looking interior.
The MG A has also received a recent servicing and freshening up, which included the following:
• Complete repaint, wet sanded and buffed
• New wire harness installed
• Sorted the electrical system
• New master cylinder
• Flushed and bled the brakes
• Tune Up
• Improved upholstery
• New carpet installed
• New seat belts installed
• New rubber seals installed
• Detailed engine compartment
• Detailed the undercarriage
• New windshield wipers installed
• New valence painted and installed
• New hoses, clamps, and hardware
• New MG A emblem
• New panel light switch and knob installed
• New voltage regulator installed
• New air hose installed
• New trim moldings around front windshield and rear window installed
This MG A Coupe is a rare and collectible vehicle that is sure to delight it's next owner; whether you want to take it for a spin on the open road or show it off at events, this MG A Coupe is a wonderful choice for the new or seasoned collector of classic British sports cars. Additionally, it could serve as an example for those looking to restore to an even higher level of quality. With its sleek design and impressive performance, this MG A Coupe is a true gem for any classic car enthusiast!
Start-Up & Drive Videos
The MG A is a sports car that was produced by MG from 1955 until 1962. The MG A replaced the MG TF 1500 Midget and represented a complete styling break from MG's earlier sports cars. Announced on 26 September 1955 the car was officially launched at the Frankfurt Motor Show. A total of 101,081 units were marketed through the end of production in July 1962, the vast majority of which were exported. 5869 cars were sold on the home market, and the MG A was replaced by the M GB.
The MG A design dates back to 1951, when MG designer Syd Enever created a streamlined body for George Philips' TD Le Mans car. The new bodywork traded the MG TF's articulated fenders and running board for ponton styling, with a single styled envelope fully enclosing the width and uninterrupted length of a car. The TF featured a high driver seating position. A new chassis was designed with the side members further apart and the floor attached to the bottom rather than the top of the frame sections. A prototype was built and shown to the BMC chairman Leonard Lord. He turned down the idea of producing the new car as he had just signed a deal with Donald Healey to produce Austin-Healey cars two weeks before. Falling sales of the traditional MG models caused a change of heart, and the car, initially to be called the UA-series, was brought back. As it was so different from the older MG models it was called the MG A, the "first of a new line" to quote the contemporary advertising. There was also a new engine available, therefore the car did not have the originally intended XPAG unit but was fitted with the BMC B-series engine allowing a lower bonnet line. The MG A convertible had no exterior door handles, however the coupe had door handles. It was a body-on-frame design and used the straight-4 "B series" engine from the MG Magnette saloon driving the rear wheels through a four-speed gearbox. Suspension was independent with coil springs and wishbones at the front and a rigid axle with semi-elliptic springs at the rear. Steering was by rack and pinion. The car was available with either wire-spoked or steel-disc road wheels. While the make (or marque) is MG, the model was named MG A by John Thornley in 1954.