1953 Jaguar XK-120 3.8 FHC
|Performance:||3.8 litre inline 6 cylinder engine, Twin SU Carbs|
|Suspension:||Independent front torsion bar and rear leaf spring|
|Wheels:||Steel Wheels with Hubcaps|
|Tires:||BF Goodrich 6.00-18|
|Brakes:||Hydraulic Drum Brakes|
|Other 1:||Body Number: J2929|
This Black on Black Jaguar XK-120 FHC is a beautifully sleek example that has benefited from long term, two family ownership since new. The XK-120 is the vehicle that set the land speed record and changed racing forever. Beyond pure performance, Jaguar XK-120s were known for their spectacular looks and beautifully sculpted body lines that are flawless in design. This particular XK-120 had previously received some light restoration work in the past (which included the addition of an upgraded 3.8 liter engine for better performance), and in recent years has been kept in good care by a Jaguar Club of Los Angeles member; the club member had initially planned on performing some of the remaining restoration work himself, but earlier in the year decided to commission us to complete the work, as well as a full service and detail to the car. We were happy to oblige, and now present this honest, and very good example to Jaguar collectors and enthusiasts worldwide!
While most contemporary observers of the Jaguar XK120 would be certain that it was born for greatness, it is surprising to consider that it was conceived and born as a limited-edition stopgap model. William Lyons assumed that the post-WWII fortune of his company, the recently re-named Jaguar Cars Ltd., would be made on the saloon cars that would sell so well in export markets, especially in the U.S. To that end, a new dual overhead-cam, six-cylinder, 160 horsepower engine was developed to power a new luxury sports four-door. As the new car was not yet ready, it was decided to launch the engine in a limited run of alloy-bodied roadsters. When shown at the 1948 Earl’s Court Motor Show, it created a sensation. Following a speed run on a Belgian highway in 1949, in which an XK120 ran 126 mph with its windshield on and 132 mph without, there was no doubt that this would become a regular production model. After 240 alloy cars were built, production was shifted to more easily manageable steel, which was now more widely available following post-war material shortages.